Re: [OM] Found a 24mm Zuiko in Sydney...

Subject: Re: [OM] Found a 24mm Zuiko in Sydney...
From: "Andrew Wiese" <aw_oly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:51:24 PDT
Duncan

I got the lens at Mainline Photographics in Crows Nest, who are very
helpful, but don't have much used gear (they stock mainly Linhof large
format, Leica and Nikon). The one I bought was just arriving that day;
these optics don't sit on the shelf long, anywhere. It cost me $375 AUD,
with both caps, orig. metal hood and pouch. It's in superb condition,
with mint glass, both aperture ring and focus feel 'new', with just a
slight bit of wear on the aperture ring grips either side (sorry to
brag). I don't know how long ago you saw the $350 one, but Mainline has
an OM4 for under $700, I think. (L & P in Artarmon have a 4ti in "fair"
condition for $495, and as far as I can tell, the only real problem is
the black paint wearing of the top and bottom plates...)

As you can imagine, it's made a serious hole in my holiday budget, and
in a week I'll be worse than broke, but I'm taking the train, and
staying in a hostel, besides which my girlfriend owes me after our trip
to NZ (I organized 1/2 price air tickets ... gotta love dad's frequent
flier mileage).  Still, with film and processing costs, plus all my
friends turning 21 this year, I'm living a financial nightmare... still
got space for that 24 though... ;-)

Duncan wrote:
-------------------
Bastard, bastard, bastard!!
but seriously...  If (or not) you end up purchasing this find, could you
post the rough price you purchased it for (if you don't mind)?
(I've been keeping my eye out for just such a beast to replace
my off-brand 24/2.8)  Last time I saw a zuiko 24/2.8 in Sydney
(admittedly in a well-known camera dealer), it was about AU$350
if I recally correctly. (The same dealer wanted $150 for a
hanimex 24/?? in OM mount and I saw them trying to
palm off an OM4(non T) for $1300 !!)
 best of luckduncan