Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Chuffed...and car sales
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:23:16 -0800
At 11:30 PM 12/20/00 EST,Susan wrote:
>In reality, the "going back to the sales office" isn't always a ploy...often
>it is that the salesperson can only go so low without authorization. It's a
>matter of control on behalf of management as well as fear of the salesperson
>giving away everything. So don't assume that if the salesperson says he/she
>must talk with his manager that it's to necessarily stall...usually it's a
>salesperson trying to see how badly the dealership wants to move that
>item...if they've been paying interest on that vehicle for months, chances
>are the manager/owner will be more amenable to meeting an offer.Reps know
>whcih cars ahev been sitting so they can use this argument..they know they
>won't make a lot of money on that sale, but a sale is a sale..usually they
>can make $200 on those and move them off the lot.
>
>Susan Steele
>Amherst, VA USA

Finally the voice of reason about dealerships. Yes there are bad ones but
there are just as many good ones. I spent ten years as a sales manager in 3
dealerships (two great ones and one mediocre). The sales manager is the
final arbiter in any deal - not the salesperson. There are any number of
reasons for taking a lower than normal profit on a deal. Everything from
being near the end of the month and short of projection to trying to get a
new salesperson their first deal.

There is one saying in the car business Susan failed to mention - " Buyers
are Liars"- and man is that true. Anyone who wants to be critical of auto
dealers should try it from the other side of the fence for a year before
they start making derogatory comments.
Barry H