Re: [OM] OM2000 or OM1? a Hypothetical Case

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000 or OM1? a Hypothetical Case
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 08:54:29 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Kelton Rhoads wrote:

> Let's take a hypothetical case: assume there's this guy who lives on the
> ocean in southern California, and who is forever worrying about salt in
> the air. So much so, that he won't take any of his nice OMs out for a
> spin within several miles of the beach. So much so, that his OM gear
> remains in a dessicant-laced zero halliburton case 99.90f the time.

 His OMs, being in a Halliburton, are already exposed to salt air,
I'm sorry to say. If that was a concern for your friend, s/he should
consider getting a truly airtight case, like a Pelican or a Tundra.
On the good side, the equipment has already stood the salt air without
any side effects. :-)

> This means that he (again, hypothetically,) takes most of his photos with
> his wife's cameras, because she is a rational and balanced individual,

    LOL   ...not to mention generous !

>  A used OM1? Or a new OM2000? (Assuming he has narrowed
> the choice down to one of those two). And, would it make any difference
> in your recommendation if you knew this guy wore glasses? (the OM1
> allowing light through the viewfinder to give spurious
readings--perhaps
> the 2000 does this as well?).

   I shoot with glasses with my OMs, but then I use hand-held meters
most of the time. OTOH, when shooting on auto/ESP with my OMPC's, OM-2's
or OM-2n's, 950f my slides are well-exposed (with me inducing a little
exposure comp. as needed). For sheer tactile and auditory
sensuousness, go with the OM-1.

 If you have any recommendations, I'll
> certainly pass them along, because I know someone who is very similar to
> the person described in what I hope I have made clear is a purely
> hypothetical case.

  Uh-Huh...

                                    *= Doris Fang =*

 Who has lived less than 500 feet from the shoreline of saltwater for
over 20 years & used her cameras in that environment/air extensively.