Re: [OM] Nikon School and thoughts about classrooms.

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon School and thoughts about classrooms.
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 08:36:54 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:18:44 EST, Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx wrote:

>-another option is to get a digital camera and practice and erase, practice
>and erase.
>The best learning tool has to be shooting a ton of pictures.  Film and
>developing cost hinder important experience which equates to good
>compostional pictures.

A good reason to shoot E-6, use overnight processing (@ $3-4/roll),
or develop your own b&w.

I'd question the digital suggestion, as I think a permanent record is
invaluable as you develop your technique. I still go back to old
rolls and study what worked and what didn't, plus I occasionally find
hidden gems that escaped my attention at the time.

Unfortunately, photography is expensive. If someone's struggling to
pay for their processing, I'd encourage them to either find another
medium, or find a way to pay for their practice.

Coincidentally, a tremendous opportunity opens up around this time of
year. School and Summer league baseball is starting around the US,
and many, if not most teams don't have a dedicated photographer
following their progress. Talk to the local paper, the local school,
and/or the local coaches about shooting the local teams for a small
fee, or in return for film and darkroom access. Along the way, you
may be able to sell prints to parents, and coaches may want contact
sheets to study technique. You'll get an opportunity to shoot moving
subjects under challenging conditions, and develop related skills
that will pay off in other areas - gaining access, dealing with
uncooperative officials, developing a relationship with your subject,
and if you work with a paper, basic writing skills.

You won't get rich (my work with the local papers barely pays for my
film), but you can offset your expenses, and you'll occasionally pick
up an opportunity to turn a few dollars.

BB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co/Bean Farms                http://www.beancotton.com