Re: [OM] Re: Double exposures

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Double exposures
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 11:14:22 +0000
At 13:07 3/11/01, Tom Scales wrote:
John,

Couldn't you do this with the trickery of Photoshop?  Pose the person in
front of the mirror twice, shoot both sets of clothes.  Cut the pictures in
half and use a stitching program to bring them back together. I suggest the
stitching because it could do it better than I can.  You could even use the
full frame for the mirror in one shot and for the person in the other and
the stitcher would great a '70mm' image.

It would depend on what you plan for the images. I got into helping a local pro set up the double-exposure mirror trick because I knew how it's done when making the photo in-camera.

If the results are for web use, no problem with stitching. If it's for smaller prints and personal use, and you have a good film scanner and printer, still no problem with stitching. If it's for things like professional 8x10's and larger, the cost of drum scanning and work to stitch them together by a pro imaging house for a single print exceeds the cost of doing it on-film in-camera, including buying the Cokin stuff to do it with. It's a matter of how much resolution is required.

My thought: if I can get it on film right, then simply printing it as any other frame is much simpler. The Cokin stuff for doing it isn't that expensive. It works very well once you've shot a few to get some experience with exactly how to do it (and what the pitfalls are). In the case of the local pro I helped set up to shoot them, we shot a half-dozen experimental shots with it to find the optimal setup. He does it now as customers request it, and doesn't have to pay for custom work to get large prints that have the same quality level as his normal studio portraiture.

-- John