[OM] Thoughts about olympus lens review site

Subject: [OM] Thoughts about olympus lens review site
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:01:26 -0400
Well, in case people missed the earlier post regarding a Nikon lens test
site, James Olson mentioned that he'd like to see a collaborative
Olympus lens review site where people could post their opinions about
different lenses.

Anyways, I (perhaps foolishly) volunteered to set this up if it's
something people would like to see.

Here's my thoughts:

1. No accounts, just track things by name and email address. I figure I
don't want to bother setting up a registration system for this, I just
want to make it easy for people to post reviews.

2. Attempt to cover the entire Zuiko line. 3rd party lenses would also
be a possibility (and something I think would be very useful) but I can
easily get the info about the Zuiko lenses from the esif, but 3rd party
lenses would be a bit tougher.

3. I don't want to duplicate content that's already out there. If
there's already a good lens review site that has most/all of the Zuiko
lenses I think it makes more sense to use it. If there is content or
features lacking from that site, then that's something different. I also
wouldn't want to steal any thunder from the esif, the lens test site, or
the various auction price sites. I think it makes more sense to link to
those sites for providing that information (which also gives the credit
to the people that deserve it).

4. This would be a completely non-comercial site. I am already paying
for hosting for my personal site, so that's not an issue for me. The
only comercial aspect of my site is I do plan to sell prints of my
photos (assuming anyone would like to buy them). So I won't be doing the
site with any thoughts of financial gain. Of course that's not to say
that donations of Olympus gear wouldn't be appreciated :-).

Now then, I have a couple of questions too:

1. What types of ratings would you like to see? Some sites seem to just
use a single rating while others break it down differently (like build
quality, optics, overall, etc). Which would you prefer to see?

2. Should the lenses be broken down just by focal length and apeture or
should it be broken down into the various versions? MC vs. SC would be a
fairly easy distinction but it seems like trying to cover every version
of the 50mm 1.8 could get a bit difficult. Thoughts?

3. Anything else that you'd like to see with this?

Bottom line though is that this type of site is only as good as the
users make it. If there's interest in having this set up, I'll go ahead
with it but if there'd be very little interest in it then it will be
pretty lame.

Thanks!

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,