Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"

Subject: Re: [OM] yet another "What would you take?"
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 22:20:05 -0500
Man, I am GREEN with envy.

From my stuff (I can't think about using stuff I don't actually have), I'd
take an OM-1(x) plus winder, a 21/3.5, 50/1.8, 35-105/3.5-4.5, and either 180/2.8 or 85-250/5. Of the long lenses, I'd prefer the latter, but it's a tripod lens and I wouldn't take the tripod because of the weight restriction. A TC that works with the 180 would be great. A 135/2.8 to go with the 180/2.8 would be nice if you could make weight. T32 for fill flash. Provia F in both 100 and 400 ASA.

The rationale behind taking the OM-1(x) is the once-in-a-lifetime aspect of the trip. You can't afford one that might not work because of humidity etc. and you probably don't have the weight to take the OM-1 as the backup, so make it the body you live and die by. You know you can count on it, and for handheld shooting, it will be just as good as any other body.

Filters: Polarizing, UV, and graduated split filters. The latter may not be necessary if you shoot into the sun over the water. The water will be only about a stop less than the sky in such situations. Meter the setting without the sun in the frame, just to the side of the sun, and then recompose with the sun where you want it and shoot (but bracket).

You can do fill flash with the T32. Using the manual scale, select an exposure for the object you select that is one stop more stopped down than the scale indicates for the flash. You've got two manual settings with the T32 and you can also use a ND filter with it if you need to. It won't be as brainless as F280 + OM-4T, but it will work fine.

Underwater pics? Dunno. For me first order of business would be not drowning.

When do we go?  How'd you get this cool job?

Joel W.

From: "johnsonpa"

I realize these come up from time to time and they may or may not be fun for
everyone else, but I enjoy reading all the replies b/c someone often points
out an angle or approach that I would have overlooked. I also want to share
my latest journey with the rest of list :-)
So here goes:
On August 21st I leave for Palmyra Atoll
[snip]