Re: [OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races

Subject: Re: [OM] was "none", now Reno Air Races
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 16:59:47 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, David McGriffy wrote:

> Back to lenses and air races.  I knew someone would voice the opinion that
> no zoom has ever been worth mounting on a camera but I still think that is
> where I'm headed.

> Also,
> the advice that nothing longer than about 300 is workable without at least
> a monopod is helpful.  I am only barely adequate at panning by hand, but a
> monopod is probably more gear than I can manage so I'll just have to limit
> my lens choice to what I can hand hold decently.

I've been holding off contributing to this thread since I haven't yet
seen the first results from my recently acquired Tamron 80-200/2.8 zoom,
but what the hell.  My subjective impression of using the lens without a
monopod (no mount on the lens, which makes it very unwieldly if you try
it) is that it's surprisingly stable despite (or maybe because of) it's
weight.  Especially if a winder is also used.  Other list members have
said good things about the results from these lenses.

btw, you can always stuff a monopod between belt & trousers,
scabbard-style.

--
|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |