Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 06:59:54 -0600
At 08:11 PM 3/21/2003 -0500, Lama you wrote:
Too bad the 200/4 is neither equipt with a tripod collar nor a beanbag.

Joel, how do you focus the 200/4 if it's weight is sitting in a beanbag
sling?

Lama,
Sorry it has taken so long to respond (been out of town), especially when I have nothing to say. I have never used a beanbag with the 200/4. I've used a Bogen tele support, which works pretty well with both the lens or lens + TC combo.

Gary, does it produce fuzzy results cause the mount lets it bobble or
because bolting the camera body to a tripod head allows the lens to
oscillate, way out there from the single point of contact, (which acts as a
pivot point)?

Lama

Not sure I saw Gary's answer to this. Especially with the OM-1, I recall that Gary found that there was a definite aperture stopdown "kick" that resonated with lenses longer than 85mm or so. (Probably resonated with all of them, but it is more noticeable the longer the lens.) MLU is no salvation. There are sprinkled references to this all over his lens test pages.

I still use an OM-1 sometimes with longer lenses on a tripod and get acceptable results by holding the lens in my left hand and pressing the shutter with my right index finger, skipping MLU or cable release. This is Olympus' recommended method, after all, and I guess they knew what they were talking about.

Joel W.