[OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........

Subject: [OM] Re: Okay, let's talk about film ........
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 15:57:09 -0500
Walt,
Pardon me for sliding on your grease ...

I think this is now also my first choice (NPS I mean), though it takes
deliberation for me to get it (order from B&H, but that it always
deliberate fun).  Otherwise, I just grab the Fuji 100 from Walmart, or
Max 400 if I have to have a 400 ASA color print film, but I'm giving up
Walmart soon.

> > B. Color Slide film
>
> Fuji Provia 100F, 400F, and Velvia.  I buy lots at a time,
> with the same emulsion number, then keep it refrigerated
> until I use it, which pretty much guarantees uniform results.
>  Unless, of course, there are processing variables, which,
> fortunately, I haven't experienced too often.

Excellent taste.  The Provias are especially fine in green country.
Velvia is my first choice for rock and desert.  Either will do for the
other in a pinch.

> Then there's Kodachrome 64.  When I finish the 10 rolls in
> the fridge and use up the 10 mailers I have, that will end my
> 40+ years of shooting Kodachrome.  Simply too much trouble.
> The Fuji films scan great, while Kodachrome is a PITA, and
> ICE, although an Eastman Kodak invention, doesn't work on
> Kodachrome.  I'll miss it, but not enough to keep using it.

I am still incensed at the loss of KM25.  I can't bring myself to like
KR64 in comparison.  The new Astia 100F has many of the virtues of
Kodachrome's palette with none of the drawbacks (I'm thinking mainly of
skintones, as I've yet to try it for landscape or in "Kodachrome light."

Speaking of which, I mean by Kodachrome light not so much magic hour
after dawn and before dusk but the more brief time when the light turns
strongly red just before sunset or after sunrise.  Velvia and even
Provia can be too intense to render this light effectively to my taste.
The only thing that does it is Kodachrome.  Once the intensity of the
setting sun slips a little, Velvia is great.  I've saved a little KM25
in the freezer to have for this kind of thing when possible and then
finish off the roll slowly with very controlled flower photos or
portraits.  I don't like Kodachrome so much for anything else anymore,
but that's plenty.

> My experience with Agfa slide film has not been all that
> great.  I like the colors, but I've got slides from 20 years
> ago that have begun to fade, while I've got Kodachrome and
> Ektachrome trannies from the '60s that look good as new and
> Fuji stuff going back to the '70s that looks the same.  Of
> course, at my age, I don't even buy green bananas anymore, so
> why should I care?

Stop it. This makes me very sad.

> > C. Black and White negative film
>
> Plus-X and Tri-X have been my staples for over 40 years.  As
> I got older, the film got better, and I've found no reason to
> switch.  I've got a half dozen 120 rolls of Ilford Delta 100
> I'm going to try just out of curiosity, so I'm not totally
> closed-minded.  And I've had some very interesting results
> recently with Efke 25 and 100 developed in Rodinol.  I have
> used it only in the 120 and sheet film sizes, but I may give
> it a try in 35mm just to see if it's as good as it looks in
> the larger negatives.  Scans really well with SilverFast.
>
> Walt

Mind if we swap Silverfast war stories (off-list maybe)

> Now that I'm retired, every night's a Saturday night and
> every day's a Sunday.  :-)

Stop it.  This makes me very jealous.

Joel W.