[OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dynamic range of films (and digits)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:45:00 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Gwinn" <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> >I'm not in this field, if not the amplifer, not the sensor then what? So
far
> >I didn't see the 10D is sacrificing the resolution for noise, it's
> >resolution is better than E-1.
>
> I didn't mean the pixel size or number of pixels.  By "tonal
> resolution" I mean the ability to differentiate shades of gray (in
> monochrome) without quantization noise or contours.  In color, the
> individual tonal resolution of the three colors together is one
> component of color fidelity.  The other component is the equations
> mapping input tricolor brightness values to output values.  If these
> equations aren't right, the output will suffer.

May be we should come back to here again:

10D with Zuiko 35-70/3.6 at 35mm F8, ISO100 ~2.7MB.

http://www.accura.com.hk/IMG_8381.JPG

E1 14-54 at focal length simulate the hight of the above picture, F8 ISO100
~3MB.

http://www.accura.com.hk/P5150376.JPG

<snip>
> below that average.  For instance, what were the exposure values
> (EVs) of the brightest spot and darkest spots in the scene?

Sorry, I didn't measure it.

> >All E-1 shots in my web site are JPEG, no color correction, only contrast
> >adjusted.
> >
> >http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/E1.htm
>
> The photos and the colors look very good.  If you put the photos next
> to the originals, how accurately do the photos capture the colors of
> the real flowers?  This was a classic test with film, and often
> showed that internal consistency or compatibility of the colors in an
> image was more important than scientific accuracy in making an
> appealing image.

By memory the colors are very close.

> I guess the test would be to photograph the same flowers (and
> buildings) using both methods, and compare the results.   Why did you
> choose the one method for flowers and the other for buildings?

The flower shots were earlier one for general performance, color and OM lens
 on E-1 test.

The building shots were for testing the RAW convertion function of Olympus
Viewer and how much I can gain with RAW on D-range. Unfortunately I got not
so good result, the Olympus Viewer is slow, whenever you change a setting
you have to wait for a few seconds for screen udpated (PhaseOne need less
than half a second) and I can only save less than 0.5 stop on the highlight
which was not impressive.

C.H.Ling