[OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?

Subject: [OM] Re: Oh, Digital, Wherefore Art Thou?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:20:42 -0700
A wonderful portrait of your nephew. Lucky uncle.

I did my own comparison almost a year ago. I used my OM4T and a
35-70/3.5-4.5 OM. Not the best but I did not want to take advantage
because I was shooting against my new Coolpix 5700 5MP with an 8 to 1
zoom which might be at an unfair disadvantage(I thought) compared to my
35-80/2.8 or 50/2. I scanned the slides at 4000dpi with a Polaroid film
scanner. The digital image was about half the size of the scanned
image, i.e., the 100% digital images details were about the same size
as the 50% scanned film image details. At every enlargement up to 100%
for the digital image and 50% for the scanned image the digital image
had truer color, better sharpness, more detail, better
transparency(that ineffable quality of a sky you sense you can see
through, that it is not painted.) and no grain. I was shocked because I
realized my CP was not a pro camera, just a little better digicam.  And
the difference was not subtle. It was marked.  I have to admit that
when resized up to 3 or 4 hundred percent the differences evened out
and they were both ugly, but in different ways. An amateur digital
image does not improve on a 35mm frame in a two by three foot image. I
don't print that large anyway. Sorry, no web site to show all this. And
this was for me. Maybe you could argue with my subjective opinion.

The image quality of my D100 is a big improvement on my
Coolpix.(Similar side by side on tripod down at the marina using an
inexpensive Nikon zoom of recent design.) I am convinced without
further testing that its images exceed what I could get with my very
best OM lens with a super fine grain, super sharp film that has not
even come out yet and probably will never come out as less and less is
sold. It may even do a decent 2x3 footer.  I sold most of my Oly stuff
with a good deal of nostalgia for a wonderful film camera and an
ergonomic wonder. But photography has moved on, at least in my opinion,
and I don't want to be one of those old guys mired in the past because
he is too lazy to move ahead with the technology of his hobby.

Still have an OM-1 which is a beautiful little antique that is fun to
use occasionally with a 50/3.5 and a 35-70/3.6 and which may serve well
if I ever get a clock drive for my telescope. Could not get much out of
them anyway. Certainly not what they are worth in their sentimental
value.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA