[OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-1 to OM-4T - worth an upgrade?
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:26:10 +1100
At 12:27 PM 20/02/2005 -0500, Gene wrote:
>I shoot primarily B&W -- slow film in one cam, fast film in the other.
>I rarely shoot slides (sorry, I use digital for most of my colour
>work). I occasionally shoot col negative film. I usually shoot
>handheld though I use a tripod for long lenses, macros and portraits.
>The tripod work makes up a smallish percentage of my overall shooting.
>I prefer handheld metering over in-camera metering for most of my work
>unless I'm travelling and want to carry minimal gear.
>
>WIth this background, would a 4T be a significant step up for me? I'm
>a bit puzzled as to why the resolution marks in Gary's charts always
>favour the 4T over the 1. Is this related only to very careful tripod
>work and inherent OM-1 internal vibration? Would I see this difference
>in the 'real' (i.e. handheld) world?

Gene, I know where you're coming from. I have used an OM-1 since '79, I
never had the money or the inclination (at the same time that is) to
upgrade or to buy another OM-1.  Like you, I shoot b&w and use prime lenses.

Where we differ is metering. I have always used the built-in OM-1 meter, I
own a hand-held but it rarely gets out of the bag. Even when I had a 4x5
Linhof I used the OM-1 to determine the exposures (a 135 or 200mm turns it
into a great spot meter).

Last year I finally had the $$ and the inclination to buy an OM-4 (thanks
Andrew F) because I was attracted to the metering system and timed long
exposures. Counting one-Kodak, two-Kodak with the OM-1 was a pain in the
rear and not very accurate..!

If you intend sticking with a hand-held meter then I'd suggest that the
OM-4T would be a waste of money. It would give you minor a benefit
(vibration reduction) but as you don't often use a tripod it's a moot point.

My opinion?  Buy it!  And start using the built-in metering system, you
will fall in love with the multi-spot metering. And the highlight/shadow
metering functions were made for b&w photography.

Andrew McPhee