[OM] Re: Shift, Tilt Bellows

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift, Tilt Bellows
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:59:33 -0400
Moose wrote:

> I've never known all that much about view camera movements. I 've read
> the descriptions, but without practical experience, it doesn't stick.
>
> Are the movements on this Horseman "view camera converter" really
> sufficient for replace a view camera? I can see it replacing a field
> camera, but a full view camera has film plane movements as well. Are
> those really important, or not nearly as much so as the front standard
> movements?
Up until now I've had nothin' but book larnin' but do have access to a
4x5 view camera.  Guess I should start using it once in awhile to gain
some actual experience.  Improving DOF as we were discussing can be done
from front or rear.  Doing it from the front does not change the shape
of the image.  Doing it from the rear does change the shape since the
image size is based on distance of the film plane from the center of the
lens.  One can, of course, do both at the same time with either tilts or
swings.  Don't ask me much more.

Chuck Norcutt