[OM] Reply - Re: web programs

Subject: [OM] Reply - Re: web programs
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:53:45 +1300

> Jeff Keller wrote
>
> Front Page sticks "&nbsp;" into empty tables cells so that they won't
> disappear. Is the spacer gif doing the same thing?
>
> -jeff
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> I find that the logic behind html tables is fairly transparent.  Sometimes I
> have to create dummy cells with spacer gifs to get the intended effect on the
> latest version of  *%#$@ MSIE, otherwise no problem.
>
> Brian
I tried putting two carriage return symbols  <BR><BR> in, and this did not
have the desired effect.

The page in question is the first one at
http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/SFR/

I have about 20 dummy cells each containing a 5 pixel skinny 60-pixel high
gif image, piled deep under the green menu cells on the left, simply because
in a very recent version of MSIE, and in no other browser I have seen, without
those dummy cells containing gif images, the four menu cells with words
were extended vertically to match the full length of the text on the right.
Which looked stupid and not at all like a menu.

For the intrepid, click "View Source" and see what I mean.

"&nbsp;" is simply an extra space. Html treats all vacant space in text as if
it is just one character space long. Every "&nbsp;" adds one more real
space.

Cheers, Brian