[OM] Re: DZ 50-200 tripod mount

Subject: [OM] Re: DZ 50-200 tripod mount
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:54:36 -0600
On 1/28/06, Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/28/06, Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Well, I don't like the tripod mount on the 50-200 very much.  While
> > it's not flimsy, it is so narrow that it is not stable enough at 200mm
> > to use the TTT technique of cradling the lens and pulling off a nice
> > sharp shot.
>

> Joel,
> I wouldn't want you to suffer needlessly so when you get a minute pack that
> poorly designed lens and ship it to me. 8-)

Oops, you're just a minute too late.  I've just been playing with my
Bogen 3265 grip ballhead and the QR plate runs the length of the mount
and can be oriented in the head so that support is just fine.  I have
to conclude that the weak link is the 3030, which has just been
consigned to monopod duty.

> I really prefer the tilt-pan heads.  I suppose the only solution is a
> > Kirk ReallyRight Arca Swiss $$$ thingy, but I'd prefer Bogen for now.
> > Suggestions are welcome!  Off to search the web sites ...
>

> I use a Velbon PH360 tilt/pan head on a Velbon Chaser EFL-4 tripod.  The
> head is very rugged with fluid motion though it lacks a QR.  It has a built
> in bubble level that at times has been helpful and  handles up to 10# in
> weight with a 2 3/4" square top plate.  Loosening the main handle slightly
> allows one to pan but keeps the up and down axis locked until loosened
> further.  No complaints so far.
>
> Richard

I'll have a look.  I have a very small Velbon I like a lot for hiking,
but I'm ignorant of the heavier models.  Thanks!

Joel W.