[OM] Re: 1st roll with an OM

Subject: [OM] Re: 1st roll with an OM
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:11:45 -0400
I don't think the difference of opinion has to do with displays and
neither one of us is right or wrong.  The difference is in
interpretation of what you wanted the picture to portray.  I can also
see a case in #2 of exposing for the small area of sunshine but, since
the heavily shaded areas are 5 stops down from the sunlight they will
likely be rendered near black on a print.  But that might look very,
very nice and be exactly the effect you'd like.

The important point is that when mixing brilliant sunshine with shadow
you just can't get it all because the technology of film, sensors and
(especially) photo printing can't handle the brightness range.  Letting
the meter decide for you and getting some averaged exposure will give
you, well, an averaged exposure.  Might be OK but more likely neither
the highlights or the shadows will be correct.  You should examine the
scene and choose to go with one or the other unless you intend to scan
the film and try to digitally recover more of the dynamic range.

Recognize also that, no matter what your original exposure intent, it
will be totally destroyed by the print lab's automated exposure system
which will once again search for some averaged exposure.  That's a good
reason for scanning and doing you own printing... at least for some prints.

Perhaps the best advice you had (from Bill?) was to shun 10:00am to
2:00pm as a time to shoot pictures unless you've got some overcast skies
to soften those shadows.  On smaller subjects (like portraits) you can
use fill flash to help out.

Chuck Norcutt