[OM] Re: Making photo Web sites (was Re: some summer & fall shots)

Subject: [OM] Re: Making photo Web sites (was Re: some summer & fall shots)
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:15:56 -0500
Stuart Robinson wrote:

> On the subject of not knowing how to make a web site, can anyone point
> me, & perhaps others in the direction to go please? I'd just like to
> something basic to my photo's a little text. TIA if you can.

I like the rework of the picture, BTW.

You have a few options. I have Comcast cable, and Comcast offers
room for a personal Web site and software on-line that lets you
create a simple site. Other ISPs may have similar software.

I actually have domains hosted somewhere besides Comcast. My host
offers also basic site-creation software on-line. For my site a
looooong time ago, I used Adobe's PageMill, which -- unfortunately
-- is now defunct. So is most of the info on that site, though, so
I've been wrestling with what to do next.

I wanted to create a "nice" site with lots of flexibility (like some
of the members here have done). But the time it would take me to do
that has been slipping away and my site been "dark" for too long. I
decided to go with software which is heavily templated but lets you
get a site up quickly.

I have a Mac, so I have several choices (unfortunately, I am not
familiar with Windows equivalents but I have to think there are
some). In the Mac space, there's iWeb for .mac customers (yeah, it
can be used elsewhere, but why?), Goldfish, RapidWeaver, Site
Studio, and my choice, Sandvox.

Sandvox is quite new, but it seems more flexible than the others and
it's about the same price. So far I like the pages I've created on
my hard drive. :-)  This weekend I plan to publish them. There have
been dozens of pictures linked to on this list -- many by newcomers
-- which I've enjoyed viewing. They make me think it's time for me
to publish some of mine.

Good luck!
Steve