[OM] Re: E-1s spotted

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1s spotted
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 03:41:18 +0800
I'm glad to see that (see your own remark).

I've had my fair share of similar nonsense although by the sound of it,
nowhere near as complex as yours. I won't even pretend to know anything
about the sorts of stuff you go through but in my case, it was fairly
simple.

As I'm gearing to move to Singapore by year's end (getting married...hence
the notion of Wife 1.0 is amusing to me...hahahaha....), I was preparing my
fiancee's apartment for wireless routing. I'd purchased a Netgear four-port
router and brought it over to get her apartment connected so that both of us
could concurrently use our individual mobile computers on the Internet.
While I was there, the whole setup worked flawlessly. No surprise to me, it
was supposed to!

After I'd left and returned home, it didn't take long for her to tell me she
couldn't get connection at all! Wife 1.0's incompatibility with and aversion
to technology sprung to mind!!! Tried as she might, nothing worked and as
you might well suspect, talking her through steps on the phone proved
impossible. It was probably easier to get a tortoise to talk than to get
Wife 1.0 to do things with the router at the other end of the phone line...

Eventually I gave up. I'd thought to leave it till my next trip to Singapore
to remedy it but in the meantime, she'd called her service provider, those
"marvellously ignorant" folks from SingTel, a company owned by the country's
Prime Minister or rather his family (heck, what's the difference anyway!!! -
six of one and half a dozen of another, I'd say). They told Wife 1.0 that
the Netgear router was incompatible, which was as plausible a reason as
telling a kid that spending too much time on computing games will turn him
into a leprechaun. The counter-suggestion was to use their "approved"
routers. When I had a look at what they were, it didn't surprise me that all
of them were from Aztech, Singapore's own home-grown manufacturer. Enough
said.

K.

--
Khen Lim