[OM] Re: [OT] Photos of Buffalo entice couple to move to Buffalo

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Photos of Buffalo entice couple to move to Buffalo
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 18:33:32 -0700
Ali Shah wrote:
> Middleport? Good thing he turned it down. There isnt
> much left in that part of town...tho FMC still has a
> plant open.

This was over 50 years ago. Middleport was the headquarters of Niagara
Chemical and it's company town. Niagara had been acquired by FMC, bu
still ran as a relatively autonomous operation. Part of what Dad didn't
like was the company town. The General Manager was much more important
and powerful than the mayor, the GM's wife ran the town's social life,
and there was no way for an exec and his family not to be a part of
that. Schools were OK, but nothing to get excited about and a HS teacher
told him what college education for four boys in the East would cost.
Those and a few other factors were, including, I like to think, the
winter weather, convinced him.

He later turned down a couple of promotions to the FMC Ag Chem
headquarters in Philly. It all worked out well, as he got to be the big
fish in his favorite pond, running research in the West. And we got to
stay in the place we love.
> Our abandoned buildings are drawing in tourists.
Global warming should improve your climate, I suppose. I don't mind
visiting snow, but not living in it, and I can go the rest of my life
without any more ice storm experience, little as I have had.

We had a friend visiting from Maine  recently. She went from below
freezing weather with snow to balmy 60s with sun. She's thinking about
moving out here now, like another friend who is already here. It's too
crowded, but I can't dislike friends moving closer...

Moose