[OM] Re: 1600 ISO

Subject: [OM] Re: 1600 ISO
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:30:56 -0700
Brent wrote:

> I had a go at removing the grain but my photoshop skills couldn't come up
> with anything that didn't look 'soft focus'.

It's probably not all due to your PS skills. One weakness of PS, at
least through CS3, is the noise reduction. It's far from the standard of
independent tools.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Rutherford/Girl1.htm>
and. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Rutherford/Girl2.htm>

Both treatments used two different applications of NeatImage, one for
low detail areas and the other where more detail needs to be preserved,
mostly the hair.

> Not that I expected grainless photos with a 1600 ISO film, but I guess I've
> become accustomed to the results people are producing with their new digital
> gear now.

Digital has taken the lead in that area generally. The good news is that
digital darkroom tools help a lot.

Moose