Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO

Subject: Re: [OM] Risking the wrath of SWMBO
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:53:59 -0600

> As I recall, I made my comments on the subject at a time when you were
> expressing serious angst. Something about everything you were doing
> photographically was derivative crap, you would never do anything really
> worthwhile, life was a dreary trudge hardly worth living, and such rot.

Yeah, it happens.

The great artists never have done it for the money.
> They do it because it's what they love and who they are. The money follows.

I think the "great artists" are actually technically insane. Instead of
"voices in the head" they have "pictures in the head" that have to be let
out.  The rest of us are just doing arts and crafts.

> I'm not sure, but I don't see why one couldn't blend multiple pinhole
> images for panoramas?

The distortion and the vignetting will kill you.

> It seems to me that Zero Image is not a straightforward product. It's
> only partly about pinhole imaging. The other part is about the
> attraction of beautifully made mechanical things. As Carol would put it
> "Oooh, pretty!" It surely doesn't take anything that fancy to hold a
> pinhole and some film.

There is no doubt that they make pretty products.

> Another thing that came out of my odyssey through the imaging web sites
> was the conclusion that the Diana F+ makes lots of really nice images.
> $45 or so delivered for a nice, simple 6x6 pinhole camera that really
> works.
> <
> http://www.amazon.com/Lomography-Diana-Medium-Format-Camera/dp/B001BPEQDK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234825277&sr=8-2

Hmm.  Veddy vinteresving.

Joel was right.  I'm suffering from SAD.  Seasonal Acquisition Disorder.
 The Diana would help satisfy the needs for a whole lot less money.

AG