Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software

Subject: Re: [OM] ***SPAM*** Re: Olympus Software
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 10:27:44 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I took an additional photo of the tree with a #25 red filter attached.
>> When viewing it in Olympus
>>Viewer (OV) I noticed that the histogram was largely off-scale at the top.
>>This may be why I get the
>>blanket grey when converting to JPEG B&W.  But that does not explain the
>>ongoing problem with the emulated
>>red filter.
>
>Hmm. Sounds like you pushed the exposure up to compensate for the red
>filter. Shoot it again with the same exposure as with no filter.

     <<SNIP>>

     I went back outside and retook that photo as you suggested.  The result
was that the histogram is a still saturated, but there is no clutter to the
right of the red bandwidth as before.  I did a JPEG B&W conversion with no
adjustment, and the result was very pleasing with the expected darkened sky.
There is little in the image other than the tree and sky, so I cannot access
the overall effect but I can see that the result of the sky and tree in B&W is
encouraging.

     I had read somewhere that underexposing the image in advance of B&W
conversion was helpful, and this seems to verify that.  So, I am going to
experiment with this thoroughly and see what evolves.

>So, I'm assuming, from your statement, that you ended up over-exposing
>the sensor by letting the meter get fooled by the filter or by all the
>years of history in applying a filter factor to the exposure.

     Yes, I was doing just that.  Old school syndrome.  The question now is how
much underexposure should be applied, or just take a reading without the filter
and then shoot with the filter and no adjustment?

     Exposed minds want to know.  :{b

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson