Re: [OM] Earsling (Was Scottish weather)

Subject: Re: [OM] Earsling (Was Scottish weather)
From: Bob Whitmire <fujixbob@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:47:18 -0500
Further research suggests earsling as the original Old English word, literal
meaning backwards, or of the back. It appears first in a translation of Psalms,
possibly by Alfred the Great. More recent shift shows spelling as arseling,
meaning, well, you know what it means.

The word first came to my attention in Bernard Cornwell's Last Kingdom novels,
which have been produced for television by the BBC. Cornwell surmises the
correct pronunciation as er-sling.

I like these books. The protagonist is Uthred of Bebbanburg (Bamburg), a Saxon
child captured and raised by Danes who nevertheless finds himself as the only
heathen in the pious Alfred's entourage. (Humm. Why does Bob like Uthred?)

What may be the final installment of the books is either just out or soon to
be. At any rate, earsling, or arseling, is now a part of my permanent
vocabulary.  Thank you, Mr Cornwell, and thank _you_ Alfred of Wessex.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus. This is a perfect mobile device. Any perceived
errors in spelling, grammar, or logic are figments of your imagination.